18 Bedford Ave
(between Lorimer St & Nassau Ave)
Brooklyn, NY 11222
- crispy confit chicken thigh with pickled egg, watercress and jalepeno on potato roll***1/2 – very good but need to consume via big mouthfuls (don’t recommend if you’re on a date)
- sage scrambled egg panini with aged cheddar and spicy tomato jam***1/2 – popular brunch item
- ricotta pancakes with honeycomb butter, banana, blueberries, strawberries & maple syrup**** – the honeycomb butter was amazeballs. I have been obsessed with honeycomb since my trip to Australia. Interestingly enough, I found this video where Bill Granger from Bill’s in Sydney (Heath really liked that restaurant) makes a version of the butter with Crunchie!!!
- truffle fries***1/2
- We came here after a fun Hollywood Stunts class in Greenpoint.
- Gets really packed for brunch. Tell the waiter you’d like to sit outside to avoid waits.
- There’s a take out coffee window.
- Owned by the late Heath Ledger (his family invested money from his estate) and two of his buddies. (Source: NY Times)
- Food and cocktails are prepared by executive chef and co-owner Ken Addington, who opened spinoff Nights and Weekends. (Source: Eater)
- Co-owner Jud Mongell and his wife have plans to open an Australian pie shop next to Five Leaves in fall 2013. (Source: Papermag)
- Heath Ledger’s touches can be seen: granite-topped bar tables engraved by his favorite tattooist Scott Campbell, one table engraved as a chessboard (Health’s father taught him to play at a nearby chess club) with a “scrawled love-heart, replicating one Ledger left on a note to a friend not long before his death in January”. (Source: SMH)
- The location used to be an old Polish hairdresser. (Source: Brooklyn Today)
The Rating System: